Travel to Diu Information
HOW DOES ONE GET TO Diu...?
From Delhi & Mumbai:
- From Delhi, the most comfortable and fastest way to Diu is an early morning flight, via Mumbai
- From Mumbai to Diu, it is a 45 minute Jet airways flight. Return to Mumbai is via Porbandar and takes longer.
- Presently, the Diu - Mumbai flight is quite expensive for such a short sector. Between Rs. 7000 to Rs. 10,000, (euros 125 to 200).
- From Mumbai, a more economical option is to fly to Bhavnagar, in Gujarat. Jet airways and Kingfisher fly this sector. From Bhavnagar to Diu by road, is a 3-4 hour drive, 240 km; taxi costs about Rs. 3,000.
- From Delhi, quite a few people prefer to fly to Ahmedabad, as this sector offers many more flights , availability of airline discounts and the flight time being the shortest. From Ahmedabad onwards to Diu, is by road or rail.
From Ahmedabad to Diu:
- There are direct sleeper buses (Rs. 250/- per person) from Ahmedabad to Diu. They leave Ahmedabad 9.30 pm and reach Diu around 7.30 am the next morning. The more reliable bus travel agencies in Ahmedabad from where you could buy your ticket and board your Diu bus are:
- 'Sahjanand' travels, 23 Anil Kunj complex, Paldi Char Rasta (crossing), Ahmedabad. Tel No: 079- 26575988, 26579588.
- 'Shiv Shakti' travels. Sumeru complex, Paldi char Rasta Tel No: 079-26578777. You could call and make a reservation for yr. bus ticket.
They usually take bookings on the phone and hold the tickets till couple of hours before departure. The sleeper buses are comfortable,
provided you get a lower berth towards the front. The upper berths are bouncy. For those travelling alone, it might make sense to book
a double (i.e. pay for two) for yourself, as the single berths are not that comfortable.
- You could also drive or take a taxi, (about Rs. 5000/-) and 7 to 8 hours comfortable driving time.
For those driving by car; the Road route; Ahmedabad to Diu = 400 km.
:::: Map route is: Ahmedabad - Bagodara - Dhanduka - Vallabhipur - Bhavnagar - Talaja - Mahuva - Una –Diu.
Details of route:
- At Ahmedabad take the NH8A. You exit Ahmedabad at Sarkhej.
- Drive from Ahmedabad to Bagodara, (about 50-60km from Sarkej).
- At Bagodara turn LEFT off the highway towards Bhavnagar.
- Try to take the bypass at Bhavnagar. About 10 km short of Bhavnagar, you will cross a railway line, immediately after which is a T-junction.
(In front, land mark is a restaurant called 'Rangoli'). Turn left at this T-junction. Drive a couple of kilometres keeping an eye open for a big
petrol station on your left; in front of this petrol station, turn right onto a bad Bhavnagar bypass road, at village called 'Vartej'. After
bumping along for about 10 km you come to another T-junction where you turn RIGHT. From here its Talaja, Mahuva, Una and Diu.
- The Mahuva by-pass is very important to take, as Mahuva is a bottle neck. However there is no sign or landmark. You basically look for a turn RIGHT, just before you enter Mahuva. Landmark is a petrol station on your right.
- From Mahuva (112 km from Hotel) you head towards Una
- Una is 30 minutes driving distance to Diu & Hotel..
From Delhi, all train routes are via Ahmedabad. In Ahmedabad you must then change for a connecting train for Verawal. Verawal is 90 km from Diu. Three hours by bus and 2 hours by taxi (Rs. 900 to Rs. 1,500/-).
There are three trains from Ahmedabad to Verawal.
- Somnath express (#9221). Departure from Ahmedabad=2135 hrs. Arrival Verawal= 0635 hrs.
- Ahmedabad-Verawal intercity express (#9119) departure from ahmedabad=1030hrs. Arrival Verawal=1930 hrs. Dep. Verawal for
Ahmedabad as #9120 at 0710hrs.
- Jabalpur-Verawal express (# 1464 & 1466) departure from Ahmedabad=0755 hrs. and arrival Verawal=1725 hrs.
From Mumbai, the train routes are via Bhavnagar or Rajkot. From Bhavnagar or Rajkot, one then proceeds by road to Diu. The Bhavnagar route from Mumbai by train is a better option.
Train 9271 departs Bandra (Mumbai) daily at 21:20, gets to Ahmedabad at 06:00 (departs at 06:20) and gets to Bhavnagar at 11:40.
Bhavnagar to Mumbai:
Train 9272 departs Bhavnagar daily at 18:25, gets to Ahmedabad at 22:30 (departs at 22:55) and gets to Bandra at 10:35.
- 2AC = Rs 1251
- 3AC = Rs 801
- IInd SL = Rs 295
Mumbai to Diu:
- Take the overnight train from Mumbai to Rajkot.
- Rajkot is about 300 km from Diu and 4-5 hours by taxi (Rs. 2500) and 7 hours by bus.
Transportation when in Diu...?
Once in Diu the local transport is excellent autorickshaws which transport you to any point on the island. You could also rent mopeds or scooters at a nominal rental of between Rs.125 to 200 per 24 hours, and set about discovering the island on your own!