So how does one get to Diu…??
Well for starters…you cannot go to Diu on your way to some other place – it’s out of the way from any trunk route. Yes if you have a travel itinerary that includes any of the following places such as Sasan Gir Lion park, Somnath Temple, Palitana, Porbandar, Dwaraka…then Diu could be on your way for sure…
- Diu has its own airport & presently there is a direct flight, 4 days a week (Air India) from Mumbai to Diu.
- So basically all those looking to fly in, would have to first get to Mumbai.
- Rajkot & Ahmedabad, which also have airports, are 300 & 400 km away or 5 & 7 hours by taxi.
- Quite a few travellers from the North prefer to fly into Ahmedabad
Driving in by Road
- Thankfully, the limited rail & air connectivity options are offset to an extent by fairly good highways of Gujarat & neighbouring Rajasthan. And so most visitors from these states use personal vehicles to reach Diu.
- Actually for long distance driving enthusiasts the option to drive to Diu is a very good one. And we do have Diu visitors who have driven in from Delhi/Gurgaon & Jaipur. From the North, the best route presently is via two highway options: First is via Jaipur… Bhilwara/Chitoragarh & via Udaipur-Ahmedabad. Second: Is a scenic route & new highway Jaipur..Abu road..mehsana..Ahmedabad
- Those coming from the south would more or less be coming in via Vadodara – Vasad – Borsad- Vataman Chowdi- Pipli- Bhavnagar (byepass)-Talaja – Mahuva – Una -Diu.
The Road route; Ahmedabad to Diu = 400 km
- Route 1 (via Bhavnagar ): Ahmedabad – Bagodara – Dhanduka – Vallabhipur – Bhavnagar bypass – Talaja – Mahuva – Una -Diu.
- Route 2 (via Amreli): Ahmedabad – Bagodara – Dhanduka – Vallabhipur – Amreli –Chalala-Khamba-Bediya (a small village where you take a right)- Dhokadva (take a left here) -Una – Diu.
- Route 3 (via Rajkot): (This option is longer by about 100 km but suitable for those wishing to first visit Sasan Gir or Somnath temple): Ahmedabad – Bagodara – Limdi- Rajkot – Gondal – Junagadh – Verawal/Somnath – Kodinar – Kesaria (a small village on the highway, 15 km short of Una, where you turn right for Diu)- Diu.
Details of Road Route 1 (via Bhavnagar )
- At Ahmedabad take the highway exit for Rajkot on NH8A. You exit Ahmedabad at Sarkhej or along the Sardar Patel road Drive from Ahmedabad to Bagodara, (about 50-60km from Sarkej).
- At Bagodara turn LEFT off the highway towards Bhavnagar.
- Try to take the bypass at Bhavnagar. About 10 km short of Bhavnagar, you will cross a railway line, immediately after which is a T-junction. (In front, landmark is a restaurant called ‘Rangoli’). Turn left at this T-junction. Drive a couple of kilometers keeping an eye open for a big petrol station on your left; in front of this petrol station, turn right onto a bad Bhavnagar bypass road, at village called ‘Vartej’. After bumping along for about 10 km you come to another T-junction where you turn RIGHT. From here its Talaja, Mahuva, Una and Diu.
- The Mahuva by-pass is very important to take, as Mahuva is a bottle neck. However there is no sign or landmark. You basically look for a turn RIGHT, just before you enter Mahuva. Landmark is a petrol station on your right.
- From Mahuva (112 km from Hotel) you head towards Una, Una is 30 minutes driving distance to Diu & Hotel..
By Bus: From Ahmedabad to Diu
- There are direct sleeper buses from Ahmedabad to Diu. The bookings can be done online for some of them.
- They leave Ahmedabad 9.30 pm and reach Diu around 7.30 am the next morning.
- The more reliable bus travel agencies in Ahmedabad from where you could buy yr. ticket and board your Diu bus are: (1) ‘Sahjanand’ travels, 23 Anil Kunj complex., Paldi Char Rasta (crossing), Ahmedabad. Tel nos:: 079- 26575988, 26579588. and (2) ‘Shiv Shakti’ travels. Sumeru complex, Paldi char Rasta Tel:: 079- 26578777. These numbers could possibly change!
- You could call and make a reservation for your bus ticket. They usually take bookings on the phone and hold the tickets till couple of hours before departure. The sleeper buses are comfortable, provided you get a lower berth towards the front. The upper berths are bouncy. For those traveling alone, it might make sense to book a double (i.e pay for two) for yourself, as the single berths are not that comfortable.
- The government bus station in Ahmedabad is at ‘Geeta Mandir’ & the govt bus leaves about 6 to 7 AM for Diu. Again one can book online.
- There are direct state buses from Surat, Vadoadara & Rajkot.
By Rail: From Ahmedabad to Diu
There are three trains from Ahmedabad to Verawal now. Verawal is 90 km from Diu..about 3 hours by bus and 2 hours by taxi (Rs. 900 to Rs. 1,500/-).
- Somnath express (#9221). Departure from Ahmedabad=2135 hrs. Arrival Verawal= 0635 hrs.
- Ahmedabad-Verawal intercity express (#9119) departure from ahmedabad=1030hrs. Arrival Verawal=1930 hrs. Dep. Verawal for Ahmedabad as #9120 at 0710hrs.
- Jabalpur-Verawal express (# 1464 & 1466) departure from Ahmedabad=0755 hrs. and arrival Verawal=1725 hrs.
Mumbai to Diu: By Rail
- Mumbai to Veraval by Saurashtra express; leaves about 10 at night & gets to Verawal/Somnath at 4:30 pm.
- Mumbai to Bhavnagar by train: This is a good option: Train 9271 departs Bandra (Mumbai) daily at 21:20, gets to Ahmedabad at 06:00 (departs at 06:20) and gets to Bhavnagar at 11:40.
- Bhavnagar to Mumbai: Train 9272 departs Bhavnagar daily at 18:25, gets to Ahmedabad at 22:30 (departs at 22:55) and gets to Bandra at 10:35.
- Rajkot, which is well connected with Mumbai is about 300 km from Diu and 4-5 hours by taxi (Rs. 2500) and 7 hours by bus.
Transportation when in Diu…?
Once in Diu the local transport is excellent autorickshaws which transport you to any point on the island. You could also rent mopeds or scooters at a nominal rental of between Rs.200 to 350 per 24 hours, and set about discovering the island on your own!
Mumbai: 850 Km
Ahmedabad: 400 Km
Vadodara: 460 Km
Rajkot: 290 Km
Palitana: 200 Km
Bhavnagar: 240 Km